Translate

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Trauma Seminar

Yesterday I finished the training for the mediators in the country.  It was a great experience.  I taught for 2 days - probably 70 or 80 people.  They mediate all the non-violent conflict in the country. 

I taught about trauma.  I explained about how traumatic events are processed differently in the brain, and it's symptoms and treatments.  Most importantly, I taught about secondary traumatic stress, and how people in helping professions that assist others who have experienced traumas can end up with traumatic symptoms.  We talked about how their jobs effect their personal lives, and how their personal traumatic history can effect their ability to do their job well.  I gave them some practical skills for them to better manage their own emotions, know how to get help with their traumas and ideas to help clients that need to be calmed down in their office.

It was exhausting, but good.  I am hopeful that I was able to make a positive impact on those that play such an important role in resolving conflict in the country.  I found out afterwards that this is the only training that they will receive all year.  I was grateful I didn't know that beforehand - I didn't need that extra pressure when preparing!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment